With the latest controversies surrounding across the smoking scenes in numerous OTT platform, together with Netflix sequence and Korean drama, South Korean authorities is seeking to restrict such publicity. Nonetheless, was it actually needed? Particularly with the rising points of medication, violence, and alcoholic consuming, why put particular consideration on these scenes solely? Be part of us in a complete dialogue in regards to the calls for from Korean authorities on Korean drama and Netflix sequence
Rising Criticism on Smoking Scenes in Netflix Sequence and Korean Drama
A rising concern has been rising within the international filming trade resulting from express smoking scenes in OTT platforms, together with Netflix sequence and Korean drama. These rising issues resulted within the South Korean authorities imposing a plan to restrict such scenes. And they are going to be proposing such limitations to the World Well being Group.
On February 4, Korean media outlet reported that the South Korean authorities plans to demand the limitation of smoking scenes in OTT platform sequence, together with Netflix. Based on the report, the federal government expresses their grave issues that OTT platform sequence, together with Netflix, have been displaying such scenes with out precautions. They reportedly pose excessive dangers in selling and inspiring underage smoking to pre-teens and youngsters.
Subsequently, South Korea will ship its delegation to the tenth Convention of the Events to the WHO Framework Conference on Tobacco Management (FCTC) held in Panama from Feb 5 – 11. On the convention, the delegation will urge consideration from the Secretariat and the events to the conference to scale back the depiction of tobacco and smoking scenes on OTT platforms, together with Netflix sequence and Korean drama.
They can even emphasize the necessity for a joint response to the altering surroundings surrounding tobacco management. And that features the rise in tobacco promoting and advertising and marketing by means of multinational media platforms and the discharge of recent tobacco merchandise.
Presently, nationwide TV exhibits have been blurring smoking scenes. Nonetheless, OTT platforms like Netflix present them overtly, inflicting fear about their impact on teenagers.
For instance, “Doona!” Korean drama was famous for its primary character Suzy’s frequent smoking scenes. The federal government plans to focus on its efforts in tobacco management, equivalent to creating extra non-smoking areas close to faculties, setting pointers to stop smoking, passing legal guidelines for tobacco hurt administration, and lowering grownup smoking charges.
Was It REALLY Vital, Particularly Amongst Graver Points?
Responding to those limitation plans, international Korean drama followers answered with combined reactions. Netizens are extraordinarily curious why the South Korean authorities pays extreme consideration to the show and use of cigarettes. On the similar time, there are different points equally regarding, together with violence, drug use, and, most significantly, extreme alcohol consuming in Korean drama.
- “If we’re setting guidelines for displaying smoking on display screen, then we also needs to do the identical for scenes with consuming and drug use.”
- “Why focus a lot on smoking scenes after we see a lot consuming and violence on display screen daily? It’s odd. If they’re off-limits, then let’s additionally restrict scenes with plenty of consuming.”
- “They present actually graphic stuff, like slicing open bellies and attacking folks with axes, however cigarettes are the place they draw the road?”
- “Medication get a cross, however cigarettes don’t? That’s odd.”
- “Okay-dramas appear to by no means query the consuming tradition.”
- “These days, many scenes make drug use look enjoyable; as compared, smoking appears nearly innocent.”
- “There’s limitless alcohol promoting on the market, but cigarette adverts are banned… Possibly they need to begin placing DUI warning photos on alcohol bottles as they do with cigarette packs.”
- “I don’t use tobacco or alcohol, however I’m puzzled by how homicide, fraud, sexual abuse, bullying, and home violence are all acceptable themes in exhibits and films, but cigarettes are the principle fear. Alcohol is usually linked to extra sexual assaults than cigarettes. Possibly that ought to be banned, too?”
Lastly, what do you concentrate on this plan? Is it really essential to ban solely smoking scenes amongst different graver points? Please share your ideas within the feedback.
Stick with us on myallmovies’s Instagram, Threads, Fb, Twitter, Telegram channel, and Discord server for extra Korean leisure information and updates. It’s also possible to be a part of our unique membership for FREE. You would possibly be capable to be a part of our upcoming unique neighborhood occasions and win thrilling prizes!
Supply: Herald Financial system